To obtain an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. The deadline is 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
- January 22: Whitetails Unlimited “Red River Valley Deer Camp”, Eagles Club, 227 10th St. NW, East Grand Forks. Games, raffles and social hour, 5 p.m.; dinner, 6:30 p.m. Tickets: $30 each. For tickets or more information, contact John Eaton, (218) 779-0968; Buck Nordlof, (218) 434-0399; or Whitetails Unlimited national headquarters at (800) 274-5471. Buy and print your tickets online at
- February 3-6: Minneapolis-St. Paul RV, Vacation and Camping Show, Minneapolis Convention enter, 1301 Second Ave. S., Minneapolis. Tickets $12 adults ($10 Good Sam members), $5 for children 6-12. Info:
- February 5: 10th Annual East Grand Forks Vintage Snowmobile Show (in memory of Anna Kozel), Blue Moose Bar and Grill, 507 Second St. NW, East Grand Forks. Registration from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., raffle from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. inside the Blue Moose, toboggan run (weather permitting) at 12:30 p.m. and presentation of prizes and door prizes at 3:30 p.m. Info : Merlyn Werner, (218) 779-6161; or Al Seydel, (701) 740-7552.
- February 26: Snofest and Snowmobile North Dakota State Ride, Langdon, ND. For further information: Cody Schlittenhard, (701) 370-0629; Where
- February 26: Northwest Angle Edge Riders Snow Rally, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Flag Island Resort on Lake of the Woods. Floor raffle, door prizes, radar race, Goose Bump Jump, 50/50 raffle, lunch and more. Rally Ride at 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 25; Meet at the Flag Island Resort. $5 and $20 raffle tickets sold at select businesses in Roseau and Lake of the Woods counties. Information:
- March 5: 16th Annual Warren SnowDaze Vintage Snowmobile Show and Ride, American Legion, Warren, Minnesota. Registration for the snowmobile show from 9 a.m. to noon, judging at noon, trophies at 12:30 p.m. and vintage ride at 1 p.m.; door prizes throughout the day. Information: (218) 791-5984.
- January 29: 38th edition
, 1 p.m., Six-Mile Bay of Devils Lake. Over $325,000 in fishing and raffle prizes, including trucks, cars, outdoor gear, vacation trips, guns, TVs, snowblowers and more. Pre-tournament events on Thursday, January 27 and Friday, January 28 at the Devils Lake Memorial Building. Information:
- February 5: 22nd Annual Larimore Vets Club Fishing Tournament, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Larimore Dam near Larimore, North Dakota. Prices for yellow perch, pike, walleye, bass and crappie. Prize draws and rewards scheduled for 3 p.m. at Willy’s Bar in Larimore; No need to be present to win. Tickets $10, includes $2.50 tournament fee and $7.50 raffle ticket fee.
- 12 February : Ice Buster Daze Fishing Derby, Red Lake River to Crookston. Registration begins at 11 a.m. in Central Park, with fishing from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. $25 per hole entry fee, including a Sloppy Joe dinner; raffle and dinner from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Crookston Inn. Ticket sales limited to 350; 17th place fishing prizes and many raffle prizes will be offered (no need to be present to win raffle prizes). Tickets/info: Brian, (218) 281-7762; or Hardware Hank, (218) 281-1749.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its hunting, fishing, and outdoor learning webinar series through the end of February. The webinars, which are free, start at noon on Wednesday and pre-registration is required at
. The webinars are also recorded and available online. The next webinars are:
- January 19: Darkhouse spearing, about the thrill of throwing northern pike through a hole in the ice.
- January 26: Squirrel Hunting in Winter, on what to consider when hunting squirrels in winter, including tactics, strategies, equipment and ways to prepare squirrels for the table.
- February 9: An introduction to winter camping, some of the gear needed, tips and tricks to help campers enjoy the adventure, and some reasons why winter might be the best time to go camping.
- February 16: Introduction to maple syrup, on the tricks of harvesting sap, boiling sap and bottling the results.
- February 23: The basics of bowhunting, on selecting a compound hunting bow and the bow accessories needed to hunt effectively; a great program for those ready to switch from target archery to hunter archery.